Police have identified one of the alleged Bondi Beach shooters as 24-year-old Naveed Akram from Bonnyrigg in Sydney. A senior law enforcement official confirmed his identity on Sunday. Officers later raided his home as part of the ongoing investigation, according to ABC News.
New South Wales Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon urged the public to avoid speculation and online commentary. He said the focus must remain on allowing police to carry out their duties. Lanyon added that Akram previously held little relevance to police and was not on active watchlists before the attack.
The shooting occurred around 6.30 pm local time during celebrations marking the first night of Hanukkah. At least 12 people were killed and 29 others were injured. The injured included a child and two police officers. Both officers remain in serious, near-critical condition and are undergoing surgery.
Premier Chris Minns said the attack was deliberately designed to target Sydney’s Jewish community. Authorities confirmed one gunman died at the scene. The second suspect remains in hospital in critical condition under police supervision. Investigators are examining whether additional suspects or accomplices were involved.
Police also located a vehicle containing improvised explosive devices near Campbell Parade. Bomb disposal units secured the area. Commissioner Lanyon formally declared the incident a terrorist attack and praised a bystander who disarmed one attacker during the chaos.






