Indian cricketer Sarfaraz Khan’s exclusion from the India A squad for the South Africa A series has triggered widespread criticism. The 28-year-old, known for his consistent domestic performances, was left out of the red-ball team announced on October 21.
Sarfaraz has scored 4,760 first-class runs at an average of 64.32 in 57 matches. He has already played six Tests for India, scoring 371 runs with one century and three fifties. His last appearance came against New Zealand in November 2024.
Politician Shashi Tharoor slammed the selectors, calling the decision “an outrage.” He said Sarfaraz’s domestic and Test performances deserved recognition and urged selectors to value Ranji Trophy runs over IPL form.
Veteran spinner Ravichandran Ashwin also expressed disappointment. “I can’t find any logic behind Sarfaraz’s non-selection,” he said. “He has reduced weight, scored runs, and still been ignored. It feels like someone has decided he’s no longer needed.”
Sarfaraz had impressed during India A’s England tour earlier this year, scoring crucial runs in practice matches. His continued exclusion has fueled debates about fairness in team selection and the treatment of consistent domestic performers.






